Friday, July 29, 2011

Bike Check and Bio: Jorge Jovel

Jorge Jovel at the X Games
He stay putting in work on his 20 inch.  Jorge "The Bronx Bomber" Jovel is a wild man!  He is one of the most versatile and talented BMX riders to come out of the Bronx, blasting huge 10 ft. airs over monster sized quarters with style and a smirk.
 He's one of my closest friends.  If you ever met Jorge, you will pick up off the gate that he's a funny ass dude. He always has a trick up his sleeve, goofing around  and playing pranks. 
He did shows with Hell On Wheels for years and eventually decided to move out of the Bronx and settle in Woodward, Pa and do what he does best.  Off his bike, he's doing him to progress in life.  Jorge works at Woodward and attends school as well. When it's time to cook, he punches in his card and starts to rip.  Stand back, hit the sidelines and get ready to see a show.  Let's see what Jorge is riding and what he is about.

Name: Jorge A Jovel
Age: 31
Location: State College, PA
Years riding BMX? 16
Employer/Sponsor(s)?: Full time student, Hyper Bikes, Snafu Bikes and Woodward camp
Bike: Hyper MIA
Frame: Hyper MIA
Fork: Snafu
Bars: Snafu JRI
Stem: Snafu
Grips: ODI Stay Strong
Barends: Snafu
Pegs: Tree
Detangler: Snafu
Headset: Kink
Clamp: built in
Seatpost: snafu
Seat: Failure
Cranks: Snafu Mayweather
Sprocket:Snafu
Chain: Shadow, are there any others?
Brakes: Fly
Cable: Snafu
Brake Lever: Snafu
Front Tire:Fit Dirt tire 
Front Wheel: Snafu complete
Rear Tire: KHE
Rear Wheel: Snafu Complete
Pedals: Snafu Anorectic
Any Modifications/Extras/Others? Just painted my frame myself










How did you become interested in BMX?  I have been on my bike since before I could walk, one day we went to Mullaly Park for a BBQ with my family and while I was wondering around the park I came across – Mullaly Skate Park. That was the beginning of the most amazing thing I have ever done with my life – BMX that is!

Which parts do you replace most often from wear and tear and/or because you want too?  I replace grips the most, when you have hands of steel like me, you tear up some shit.

What's your bike setup like? And describe how you like it to feel?  Big front tire for pump, skinny rear tire high bars lined up with my fork ( not forward not back).

What was your first "real deal" BMX bike?  So we’re chilling infront of the building I lived in and this crack head passes by and say “yo ma little nigga I’m selling this here bike”, it was a Mongoose California Pro for $15. My best friend always had money on him being the hustler that he was so he bought it for me and Boom that was my first “real deal ride”.

Are you a weight weenie? How much does your bike weigh?  The truth is my bike is really light, I don’t have Titanium on it but Snafu makes some light stuff and Hyper’s new frame is really really light American made by solid bikes. I put a heavy tire in the front because I ride vert and when you’re going 10 feet your front end has to be a little heavy.

Do you work on your own bike?  Yes or No? Why?  Yes I do all the time.

What is your favorite color(s) I like everything, I like painting so my bike can be what ever color I want it to be.

Brakes?  No brakes?  Why?  The truth is I like both, but it’s hard to do a flair tailwhip 6 feet out on a scary ass vert ramp with out using your brakes.

Is your bike 100% dialed all the time?  Nah, something always has to rattle to make me feel good. (editor note: LMFAO)

Any Likes or dislikes In general? In BMX?  I love riding my bike, I have given up a lot of things to ride so when I see kids making fun of some one because they only do nosies or only do tailwhips I think, Just ride. The only person who has always paid my rent is me, so that is the only person I will ever listen to.

What is your favorite part of your Bike(s)? and of BMX period?  I would have to say my pedals.

What is your favorite BMX video or rider section?  I honestly barely ever watch vids anymore, I film a ton of riders all day long and love to make web edits for them. But I like watching Jeremiah Smith and Jamie Bestwick.

What talents, interests or hobbies do you have besides bmx (if any)?  Too many to name, I film, shoot photos, do Ads and print work, draw and paint art, I love to build stuff that I can use.  I just like to do it all because I feel you only get one life and well I want to die knowing that I used up every ounce of energy that was possible.

Are you as talented in your other hobbies and interests as you are riding BMX?  Not sure, I didn’t know I was a talented rider!

What music genre do you listen to?  Everything, you name it. I love party music like club stuff.

What do you listen to while riding? Hip-hop, dance some Biggy or even Kesha hahaha!

If you could change anything on your bike, what would it be?  Nothing at all.

If you could change anything in your life (if any), what would it be?  I wish I never wasted my young life partying and chasing girls. I wish I didn’t wait so long to make moves in riding.

What is your favorite trick to see or do?  Nose wheelies(brakeless).
  
What is your favorite "dialed" trick to bust out on call?  Not sure.

Favorite BMX rider(s) of all time?  Jeremiah Smith, Jamie Bestwick, Baby Keith and Black Rob.

Are there any public figures, (past or Present) that you admire?  I just admire a person who has a dream and goes for it.  Following a dream is the hardest thing you can possibly do but when you get it it’s all worth it.

Any favorite foods? Drinks?  Omelets

What are your favorite quote(s)?  Live today as if tomorrow is your last.

Any favorite books/mags/movies/TV shows?  I like watching documentaries about everything and anything.

Have you had to deal with alot of injuries during the course of your BMX career?  I was off my bike for one year, Because of a broken scafoid, I have no ACL's so my knees pivit, dislocated my left shoulder last years and early this summer and tore ligaments in my right shoulder two months ago. Fractured both left and right shoulders and fractured both ankles, dislocated my ring finger and had two concussions.

You been going to school lately?  What made you go back?  I have been riding my bike my whole life and my goal has always been to travel all over the world. I have accomplished that but I have so much more that I want when riding ends. I am passionate about film, Photography and design and this year I decided I would go back. It has been extremely hard because I am a full time rider and you know that means...you’re broke, so add full time student to that.  I have spent late night working on projects and long days trying to ride my bike and stay at the same level as I was last year.  I managed to get really good grades and still remain a professional rider.
It’s funny one day I’m in China competing in the X-games and two days later I’m back in school fighting Jetlag and catching up with 5 project that each take 20 hours and are do that week.


Any shout outs or special thanks you want to send?  I would like to thank my family and girlfriend who have always stayed by my side no matter what crazy dreams I may have had. I want to thank my sponsors for helping me with parts and Hyper Bikes who took care of my recent trip to China, Thank you so much!  I also want to thank the dudes that chased us out of Mullaly Skatepark when I was 15 years old to steal our bikes, the guy that put a gun to my head and said give me your bike, the posers that would steal little kids bikes and come back to the skate park the next day riding my friends parts. The "5 Riders” I had to fight on the Grand Concourse to help my boy keep his bike. I want to thank you for making me strong and giving me a tough skin, thanks to you I have no fear!  I want to thank Luis Perez for working so hard on Mullaly Skatepark, some people will never know how passionate he was about riding, building this amazing park for us to ride and running the early King of New York contest with rock bands, mosh-pitts and even a wrestling ring.




Huge tuck no hander in X Games Asia.

MINORITY BIKES

No comments:

Post a Comment