Friday, March 4, 2011

Bike Check and Bio: Davey "T-shirt Dave" Roman

Davey's pic from the hospital the after getting hit by a car the day of Karston's closing reception at Saltspace


   Davey "T-shirt Dave" Roman, one half of MBC!  You will usually see him night prowling on his bike in the city, rockin' a Hanes inner white T or skeemin' on what mischief to get into. He is the definition of youth, enjoying life to the fullest day by day...

Residing in NYC, Davey has seeing a lot of wildness but he never fell into the hype.  He's too busy saving lives at the beach as a lifeguard and riding to be messing around!  He's always down for a good time and to shred anywhere he finds a lump. bump or crevis.  Quiet (uaually) at first, Davey seems like your tipical kid.  Watch out for the quiet ones though...Meow!  He is at home right now recovery from a hit and run last week.  I finally have him standing still in one spot long enough to ask him some questions.  Let's see what this Minority has to say...




Name: Davey Roman
Age: 22
Location:  NYC Manhattan
Years riding BMX?  "its been a long time"
Employer/Sponsors(s)?  Summer job NYC parks beach lifeguard, MBCXYLPXDSB
Bike Check:
Frame:  Cult Death Row 21.25 black
Fork:  Cult black
Bars:  Cult Death Row black
Stem: Animal Jump Off Stem black
Grips: Animal  Edwin Grips flangeless
Barends: S&M Barends
Pegs:  Animal LinOG pegs
Detangler:  Nah
Headset:  Animal Integrated black
Clamp:  Nah
Seatpost:  Animal Pivotal Wedge Seat Post black
Seat: Animal Cush Pivotal black
Cranks:  Odyssey Twombolt black
Sprocket:  Animal Sprocky Balboa 25t
Chain:  Shadow Conspiracy V2 Half Link Chain
Brakes:  Halfcabs, Loteks sometimes Etnies
Cable:  Just get Netflix
Brake Lever:  Nah
Front Tire:  Animal GLH tire 2.25
Front Wheel:  Simple hub w/ guard Primo Balance rim w/ DT spokes
Rear Tire:  Animal GLH 2.10
Rear Wheel:  WeThePeople Lite Cassette hub, Primo Balance Rim w/ DT spokes
Pedals:  Animal Steve Hamilton Plastic Pedals
Any Modifications/Extras/Others?  Cut the bars a bit, cut the rear axle down.



Ya peeped the "chanclas"...Pero OHOH!



AH'HA, y es facil?!


How did you become interested in BMX?  My brother used to ride, I live right by Union Square plus I used to pass by the Brooklyn Banks alot so it was only a matter of time.


Which parts do you replace most often from wear and tear and/or because you want too?  Both..I replace mostly everything from wear n tear but sometimes if a parts old or worn or something I get something else for cheap I'll replace.  


What's your bike setup like? And describe how you like it to feel?  Sleek, Simple and Solid


What was your first "real deal" BMX bike?  A yellow Xgames, followed by a Haro then a WTP 4 seasons when I really started get into riding for real.


Are you a weight weenie? How much does your bike weigh?  Every ounce counts, I have no clue how much my bike weighs and I don't wanna know.


Do you work on your own bike?  Yes or No? Why?  If I have the right tools I'll fix my own bike...I can't build wheels though...I've tried many times...


What is your favorite color(s)  For my bike, black, dark green and blue.  To wear, red, white, blue, green and black


Brakes?  No brakes?  Why?  I rode brakes on/off for a while...I would like to ride brakes. but maintaining them is a hassle especially for a vago like me.


Is your bike 100% dialed all the time?  For the most part


Any Likes or dislikes In general? In BMX?  Just as long as I can ride/chill and have fun with my friends and nothing gets in the way of that, then it's all good.


What is your favorite part of your Bike(s)? and of BMX period?  So far, I like the Simple hub.. it's literally simple in the ways it works no crazy parts or anything, I like my frame a lot too.


What is your favorite BMX video or rider section? Etnies Forward, Any Eli Platt section, Vic Ayala 1st Animal, All the local vids like Animal, 718, DQYDJ, AMPM, etc.


What talents, interests or hobbies do you have besides bmx (if any)?  Swimming 400m freestyle, Movies, Eating good food, writing (from what teachers say), basketball.


Are you as talented in your other hobbies and interests as you are riding BMX?  I get busy in the pool.


What music genre do you listen to on a daily basis?  I listen/ enjoy all types of music


What do you listen to while riding? something that fast paced, and Juelz Santana.


If you could change anything on your bike, what would it be?  As of now... nothing...maybe a better rear hub/guard set up...


If you could change anything in your life (if any), what would it be?  Right now, nothing... I'm very lucky and thankful and grateful to be here right now.


What is your favorite trick to see or do?  I like seeing good riding overall.


What is your favorite "dialed" trick to bust out on call?  I'm not nice like that, so I'll say doing 180 with a nice halfcab for style points...


Favorite BMX rider(s) of all time?  My friends that I ride with.


Are there any public figures, (past or Present) that you admire?  Theres a few dudes...Fidel Castro, Che, writers like Jim Carroll, Noriega, the lady from cocaine cowboys, Jesus Christ, Juelz, Tupac, theres a very long list...


Any favorite foods? Drinks?  Anything my mom makes.  Home cooked meals from a OG momz, $1 slice, the mexican salad at Coney Island, most seafood, jugo de chinola and smoothies.


What are your favorite quote(s)?  Can't think of anything now, but I guess just have respect for yourself and others and appreciate life.


Any favorite books/mags/movies/TV shows?  Juice, KIDS, The Basketball diaries, Menace to Society, Law & Order, Seinfeld, Fraiser, Cheers, Robocop, Gangland, Scarface, Men of Honor, Goodfellas, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo list goes on.


How come they call you T-shirt Dave?  That was between George K and Edwin...When I was younger I used to ride at Union when it was brick, in a T-shirt when it was like 40 degrees out...right now Im living better wearing coogi sweaters.. Its one the dopest nick name ive had out of all the others...thanks to george and Ed for that one.


Any plans for the future?  Keep riding, go to school and keep my life on track.  I have a whole new out look on things now...


Did you like the Minority vhs?  Never got a chance to see it...


I know your recovering right now from the accident fri, thank god your ok...what do you remember right before and after the car hit you?  It all happened so fast...all I remember was gettin hit by a car then some white dude told me to stay down.. then the ambulance came and took me to the hospital be honest I was pretty shook up. I'm just grateful to god to get away from that with minor injuries...most people dont get so lucky...hit and runs aren't cool...thanks to everyone that helped me out.


Any favorite spots to ride?  The Brooklyn Banks and any other spot where u could ride and chill with out gettin kicked out.


I know we are a few years late, but how do you feel about Minority making its mark in 2011? They'll be speaking about minority in books hundreds of years from now.


Have you ever took your bike to the Dominican Republic?  I rode someone else bike.. it was a 1980s GT.. but it was cool.. my cousin skates heavy out there so he took me to wild ass spots.. a lot of the architectures mad old so there is alot of banks and wild set ups.


I know your a lifeguard. How many rescue breathes do you give an unconscious person? Depends if they have a pulse or not or whether its a choking victim.. for CPR its 30 breaths 2 compressions.


Have you every had to rescue anyone? Plenty of times... all people do on hot days is drink smoke n party and that's not a good combination .. buts its a real chill job. the worst part for me is finding floaters (dead bodies)..

Have you used any of your "Lifeguard" training while out riding your bike? haha nah.. hopefully I never will.. watching a person drown isn't cool.


Any shout outs or special thanks you want to send?  My family, friends on and off the bikes, God and anyone I've ever chilled with and had a good time.




MINORITY BIKES CO.


No comments:

Post a Comment